March 1, 2009

Special Sunday Edition

Meet Michael Combs.  His business cards reads:  Michael Combs, 505-946-0338, Street Singer, Citizen, combsjmichael@gmail.com.  The business card is straight forward, to the point.  It is the perfect business card for Michael Combs.

I met Michael while walking around old town Santa Fe.  I stopped to listen to his music and then starting to talk with him about anything and everything.  He is a most interesting person.  After we talked for a while, he looked over and said:  “you going to use that thing (camera) for anything other than an anchor?”  I got the hint; I started firing away. 

I soon realized that I needed some fill light.  I got a little girl (Ashley) to act as my VAL and her brother (Raymond) to hold piece of white cardboard as a reflector.  They were great.

All four of us reviewed the shots on the back of my camera.   Everyone seemed to agree that this one was the best.  Michael informed me that he was making his own CD and needed a photograph of himself for the cover.  He told me that:  “I cannot pay you, but I would give you full credit and you can be my photographer when I hit it big.”   He added a wink and a smile to seal the deal. 

I asked him what type of look he wanted for the photo.  He thought for a minute and then said:  “Me and my music have traveled a lot of roads.  I want my photograph to show that.”  This is my attempt to show a music man who has traveled a lot of roads.

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 28-70 f/2.8 at 60mm, shot at ISO 640, f/6.3 and 1/90th of a second, Nikon SB-800 with ¼ orange gel to camera right and reflector at camera left

Post Processing: 

Lightroomadjusted white balance, set white and black point, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance.

Photoshopused nik Color Efex Pro bleached contrast filter and added edge and scratches with onOne Photoframe.

8 comments:

  1. I have seen many of your photos over the course of a few years now. This one is just an exceptional photo.

    You have played with many frames to highlight or set off your subjects, but none work as well as this one does. I feel you have captured what your subject was wanting for a cover shot.

    It evokes emotion and tells a story, all in one beautifully captured portrait. It doesn't get any better than this.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful. You did Michael right. He is getting a photograph that will sell his music by itself. I think you should post this one on your website.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Doug on this one Larry. Looks like you should do more "Special Sunday Edition's" in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me get this straight, you're walking around, stop to listen to some music, start taking some shots of this musician, enlist two kids to assist you, use one flash and a makeshift reflector, ask the type of photo he wants and you get THIS? All I got to say is you must have a really good camera. All kidding aside, this is a wonderful shot and I think that DHaass nailed it-it doesn't get any better than this.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shot. Like the back story. I think you captured what he wanted to be captured. Your post processing is amazing.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been following your blog for a while and think you do some interesting work. I generally like your people photos the best. This may be one of the best photos that I have seen of a street musician. It is just plain good.
    I hope you keep posting shots like this because I learn so much from them.
    Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Patrick,

    I know nothing about photography, I have simply no idea at all
    But when i saw this photograph, there was something different. Yuo surely have ried to capture a person who has travelled many roads. Its amazing and its as though the photograph has a soul of its own. Beautiful picture and I hope he uses this for his CD cover :-)

    God Bless

    Minnie

    ReplyDelete