February 27, 2009

Houston Zoo #5

This monkey was sitting in the tree watching all the people walk by.  I could almost hear him thinking:  “If I evolve, do I have to wear that shirt with those pants.  I sure hope not!”

I really liked the monkey's pose and the clean background in front of him, but I had two problems:  there was a lot of “garbage” on the monkey's backside and the light was very hard on his front.  I decided on a slightly unconventional crop that did not show all of his body to solve the garbage issue and decided to underexpose the image by about 3 EV to make the photograph as much about the lighting as the subject.  I really did not care whether the fur on his front legs blew-out; I thought that would just help separate him from the background.

Enjoy.

Camera settings: Nikon D3, 300mm f/4 with 1.7x teleconverter attached (effective 500mm lens), shot at ISO 200, f/13 and 1/750 of a second on tripod.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting composition. I like what you did with the lighting.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job working around everything Larry. I think the exposure worked fine here.

    I'm pretty sure this is the same Pata Monkey that Barry posted on his blog, shot close-up.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason your crop seems very natural. Normally, cutting off part of an animal like this bothers me but I am not bothered here. The blow of the fur does bother me though. I can see where it separates the monkey from the background but I wish I could see the detail. I enjoy your work and your explantations of what you were thinking when you took the photo.
    Kileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed this one because it looks like it was taken in the wild.I can see a monkey sitting like this with the morning or evening sun in his face.Good job
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Kileen on your crop. I don't thing anyone would look at this image and see any kind of compromise or contrivence in its composition.

    Great shot.

    ReplyDelete