March 15, 2009

What Is Coming

I recently attended Choice and Vision photography workshop conducted by Gregory Heisler at the Santa Fe Photography Workshops.   Greg does some truly great portraits that utilize a wide range of lighting techniques.  

Greg told us on Sunday night before the workshop started that this week was not one in which we would add lots of images to our portfolios; rather, it was one in which he wanted us to push ourselves in new, uncertain directions.   Most of our work was done in groups of three with each of us acting as the photographer, the light person or the subject.  Greg thought that we could learn different aspects of a portrait being in the different roles.  I think I learned something from each role.

This coming week, I plan on presenting five photographs from the workshop.  I selected these photographs, not because they were necessarily my best shots, but, because I could easily explain what I was trying to do and give each of you the opportunity to tell me whether I achieved my objective.

Before I sign-off, I want to explain a few things about my blog. 

First, I was asked if I really post my blog at five something in the morning.  Yes, I do; but, my posting are generally for a few days out—in other words, the time is correct, but the day is not the day I actually wrote the blog.  I try to have two or three days posting on the blogspot server ready to go so that if I get too busy, I will still have something posted for that day.

Second, someone wondered why I do not reply to people’s possible negative comments.  To begin with, I do not always read the comments each day.  At the end of each week, I usually read my postings and the comments associated with each post.   I think that when you put one of your photographs on the internet, you are saying to the world:  “What do you think?”  With that in mind, who am I to tell someone that they are wrong?   When I get negative comments about my photographs, I look really hard to see if I can see the same thing that the poster saw.  Whether I agree or disagree with the comment, I try to learn something from it and move on.

I hope you enjoy the images from my workshop.

1 comment:

  1. Larry-

    Looking forward to seeing your work from the week.

    I like your thoughts on the negative posts. I tend to have a similar thought process.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete