March 19, 2009

Trouble

In 2007, Bay Area Photo Club had “trouble” as one of the monthly assignment.  Today’s photo was what I wanted to do for that assignment, but could not get any of the local jails to allow me to take photos within the jail.  When I saw the row of cell blocks, I knew that I wanted to take this photo.

I wanted the photograph to show the hands with as much detail as possible, depth of the cellblock and the light coming from the windows in the various cells.  After the first couple of cells the light fell-off very dramatically, so I knew that I need to light both the hands and the middle part of the cells so that the bars were clearly visible.  The real trick to the lighting was in making the light fall only on the portion I wanted lighted and dialing the light down to the level I wanted.  I did not realize how much light studio lights produce.  We only had two strobes so I was unable to light the final few cells.  I think that would have helped show the depth of the cellblock.

When I downloaded the images to my computer, I immediately knew that it had to be converted to black and white.  The bars were painted turquoise and that just didn’t go with the mood that I wanted the photograph to convey.

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 28-70mm f/2.8 at 40mm, shot at ISO 200, f/13 and 1/125 of a second on tripod.

Post Processing:

Lightroom:  Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity.

Photoshop:  Converted to black and white using nik Silver Efex Pro. 

8 comments:

  1. Great moody shot Patrick!

    It reminds me of scenes typically seem in old prison movies.

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's Bernie Madoff!

    Nice shot Larry. Another one that would probably be interesting would be with one of the hands holding a piece of mirror [like you them communicating with.]

    ReplyDelete
  3. The subject matter, use of B&W and the overall scene seem to fit together on this one. This shot makes you understand why you do not want to be in a place like this. Good work.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice shot. Like how you made the depth of the cell block come forward. Good work.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice image you have created here.

    I really think you were able to create an image with believable light.

    As I picture it this is a dimly lit hallway with a single light periodically down the center of the hallway.

    I really like this one, great work as always!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Brian, this is believable. It is not hard to image seeing this scene as you walked through a prison. Good photo.
    Charles M

    ReplyDelete
  7. After your shots, I have decided-I do not want to go to prison. Nice shot.
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  8. This shot has a lot of mood in it Larry. I don't think you lost anything by not being able to light it to the end. It's easy enough to picture in my mind what that prison must feel like if I was standing there looking at those hands.

    Great job on this one.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete