March 27, 2009

Old Texas Wind Mill

I really like Cap Rock State Park and took two wonderful hikes; but, I never got any photos that I really liked.  In the afternoon, I visited Palo Duro Canyon State Park, and although its hiking trails were not nearly as interesting, I did take several interesting photos.

Today’s image is an HDR image (five shots at 1 EV increments) of an old Texas wind mill and water storage tank that I found on one of my hikes.  I think I walked around the wind mill a couple times before I finally settled on a spot to set my tripod down-on.  I like the way the light was falling on the middle portion of the photo.  I felt that it gave the image greater depth.

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 28-70mm f/2.8 at 36mm, shot at ISO 200, f/11.

Post Processing:

Photomatix Pro:  Combined five images into a HDR image and then did some basic tone mapping.

Photoshop:  Did some basic gardening, added mid-tone contrast and added saturation to various colors.

7 comments:

  1. I like this shot Larry. I'm a sucker for windmills anyway as they always remind me of my grandfather's place in Devine, Tx.

    Nice composition and the HDR looks good here. The clouds help make the shot.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know much about how you got there, but I do like the results. This one has more of a painterly look than a photographic look. The colors are great and the overall composition allows you to easily move within the image.
    Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shot Larry. It's good from foreground to background. To me the orange hues make the shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shot Patrick!

    Nicely seen, composed and processed!

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  5. HDR is often not used correctly. Here it is used to perfection. You see the full spectrum of colors and shades. You get rich, full details. But, you do not get over-the-top of anything. You picked a good subject, composed it nicely and then applied just the right amount of post processing. Nicely done.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shot! I bet it would look great in black and white too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fine photo. It is one that I would put on my wall and look at it fondly.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete