March 17, 2009

A Different Kind of Portrait

I had passed this graffiti on a bathroom wall several times.  Each time, I would look at it and think “there is a photo there, but . . .”  Finally, I decided to just stop and look at it until I saw the photo that I wanted to create from the scene.  After a while, I decided that I wanted the photograph to be about light filtering through the windows at the far end of the bathroom and the graffiti.  I tried a shot with only ambient light, but I got nothing.  I needed to add light; but, where and how much?

I started by putting two strobes outside—one pointed slightly upward and the other pointed slightly downward.  I played around with the levels and finally settled on about ½ f-stop underexposed for the middle of the far wall.  After taking a few shots, I liked the level of the light on the wall, but not the color, and not the way the graffiti was lighted.  I tried to light the graffiti with a strobe, but quickly learned that I could not dial down the strobe to get “just the right amount of light on the graffiti.”  I then placed a silver reflector opposite my strobes to bounce light back on the graffiti.  It worked, but I was getting a little more light than I wanted.  I flagged the reflector to reduce the area illuminated, but the silver reflector just put more light on the graffiti than I wanted.

My final shot included blue gels on the strobes and a flagged silver reflector.  I think a white reflector would have given me the level of light that I wanted, but . . .

After downloading my photos, I could never decide what caused the bright blue light in the lower right corner of the photo, but, I felt that this is something that I could correct in Photoshop, if I was going to present the image.

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 28-70mm f/2.8 at 40mm, shot at ISO 200, f/13 and 1/60 of a second on tripod.

Post Processing:

Lightroom:  Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance.

4 comments:

  1. Really nice. I like how you directed the light upward and downward. I think that makes the photo.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not like this photo. I cannot see its point. The lighting might be interesting, but nothing else interest me.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lighting on the wall is interesting. I do not find the graffiti interesting. It seems flat. I think you need to think a little more about this shot, not sure you got your photo.
    CharlesM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not know what these people are expecting. This is an interesting shot. You have two subjects, the light on the wall and the graffiti. The lighting is different on both, but when you look at it you can understand what is happening. I think everyone is looking at this scene thinking that they do not like the place and therefore they cannot like the photo. Good photos can be of places you like and places you do not like. The subject matter is always the most important thing. Here the light is the most important thing. Sorry for the lecture.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete