March 24, 2009

Movies from My Past


I spent the night in Clarendon, TX, which has a population of about 2,000 and is the county seat for Donley County.   I stopped in Clarendon because I planned on visiting Cap Rock State Park and Palo Duro Canyon State Park the next day.

Clarendon is a small panhandle town with an interesting county court house, but I must admit that was not what I found most interesting in the town.  A couple blocks from my hotel, I found the Sandell Drive-In Theatre.  The drive-in was a throwback to a drive-in my family and I regularly visited when I was growing-up.

I wanted the photo to reflect the 50+ years it has been since I went to the old Midway Drive-In with my family.  I am presenting two photos here because I am not sure which one best present what I want to present.

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 28-70mm f/2.8 at 28mm, shot at ISO 200, f/11 and 1/60.

Post Processing:

Lightroom:  Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance.

Photoshop:  For the black and white version I used nik Silve Efex Pro to convert the image and for the color version I de-saturated various colors until I got what I though was an old and worn look.

6 comments:

  1. Anyone over 40 years old probably has fond memories of drive in theaters. I think everyone one of them had a concession stand like the one in your photo. Your composition and treatment of the two photos is very good. You dated them to their time and place. Good work.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this one. It reminds me a days long ago. Your treatment of the subject is very good. I am with you, not sure which one I like best.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the color one better, probably because you see more of the great sky. You didn't say - is this HDR? Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice pix. i like how you finished them.
    alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of going to the Decker Drive-in in Baytown with one passenger in the car and and 4 more in the trunk of my 1963 Pontiac Skychief! It's all good till you have to run from the manager - taking the parking humps like Steve McQueen on the streets of San Francisco in "Bullet."

    Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots Patrick, for all the previously stated reasons!

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete