January 1, 2009

World Hula Hoop Contest

Happy New Year!

You probably did not know it, but the World Hula Hoop Contest is held at the Patrick homestead.  Cole, my six-year-old grandson, and his grandmother (a little north of six years old), have had a running battle over who is the better hula hooper.  I was lucky to get a press pass to shoot a few of the contests' workout before the upcoming contest.   Cole was out on our drive practicing for the big contest when I got this shot.

After watching both contestants over the past few days, I would place my money on the shorter one.   He seems to have the style and the stamina to take her down!

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 17-35 f/2.8 at 20mm, shot at ISO 200, f/8 and 1/180 of a second with me and my SB-800 Speedlight laying on ground and pointed up (triggered by AlienBee radio trigger)

Post Processing:  Lightroom—set white and black point, and added mid-tone contrast, added clarity, darkened blue and cyan of sky.  

6 comments:

  1. Wished that you would have got that little slice of the hula hoop in. Like the angle. Like the colors. It makes you want to know what is going on.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was he standing on a ladder or did you actually get down on the ground? :-)

    Great POV!

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was laying on my back on the ground. My flash was laying on a towel on the ground a few feet from me. I wanted the photo to show only the hula hoop, him, the trees and the sky. I think this one might qualify as " unusual perspective."

    Had fun taking this one. I was only allowed to present the photo on the blog because his face was not in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your angle makes this photo. It slows your eye down so that it can gather more information. The colors also work well together.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this shot a lot. The little slice of missing hoop does not bother me at all. The angle,the composition and the moment you caught are wonderful. This would make a great entry for "children at play" as well.

    How come you didn't participate in the contest? It would make an unusual Self Portrait too :). And you could do it with the timer, so that is no excuse.

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good capture of a moment. Like the colors and the perspective.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete