January 16, 2009

Another Punishment Shot

This is another shot from my afternoon of torture and punishment (see January 15th post). 

In one of the stores, I spotted this old time bulk grain section that had these really cool handles to dispense the grain.  I really like the chrome and how it dispersed the light here and there.   I also like how they formed a great pattern.

This photograph was actually shot using the Nikon D3's built-in 4x5 format--the camera takes an image in the 4x5 format rather than the normal 2x3 format.   I had never used this feature, however, I knew that I would have to crop the image in post processing if I took it in the normal 2x3 format, so why not do a little in-camera cropping?


Camera Settings:  Nikon D3, 105mm Macro f/2.8, ISO 400, f/3.3, 1/60 second.

Post Processing:  Lightroom--cropped a little more from the right side, set white and black points, changed the white balance to get a different feel, increased midtone contrast.


5 comments:

  1. Great shot Patrick!

    Great rhythm between the in focus and out of focus handles. Very dynamic composition! Love the out of focus specular highlights as well.

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the square crop and the selective focus --- that bokeh is great. I don't think I have seen that kind of handle before. The way you have framed it is very nice. And you managed to stay out of the reflection somehow.

    Very nice image.

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patrick,
    It may be time for you to stop thinking of these outings as "punishment" and start thinking of them as "opportunities"! :-)
    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty interesting. Like the bokeh. Adds a great deal to the overall effect. Nice colors.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barry,

    If I were to ever indicate that "girl's golf" (that is what JD calls shopping) is an opportunity for me, then I would be her full time caddie!

    ReplyDelete