January 20, 2009

Houston Marathon #2

Today’s post is another from my trip to the Houston Marathon, but it will not include any technical data. Why?  Because of what I wrote yesterday on Brian Bastinelli’s blog.   As photographers, we too often think about this setting or that setting rather than our real purpose:  to make an image (it does not matter how we get there).

Today, we will have a little humor, a lesson from a outstanding image-maker and finally another attempt to get my abstract runners.


When you attend an event like the Houston Marathon, you must realize that there are some things that you will not have control over.  An example:  BIG HAIR.  Now, I am a Texas; I love Texas ladies; and, I like their BIG HAIR.  But, even big hair has it’s place.  Here I am having a little trouble with getting my shot around another viewer of the race.  Realize that you will be faced with situations like this and just deal with it.





Amy is 3½ years old.  She is a true artist.  She is the photographer that I aspire to be.  Here, she is photographing her mother and aunt.   She is constantly directing them—“a little closer”, “bigger smiles”, "keep your eyes open”, etc.   After each shot, she looks at the back of her camera to see what she has.  No fretting over camera setting, just total concentration on the results, and then the barking of new instructions to her models.  I did not see any of her images, but I bet her images captured the moment better than most of mine.


Finally, here is another attempt I made at capturing my abstract runners.  Enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. You hit the trifecta here Patrick! All three shots are terrific!

    I love the Big Hair shot which is at once funny and interesting. Amy is adorable and you captured the intensity on her face that shows she takes her photography seriously! Today's marathon abstract is even better than yesterday's.

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each of these photographs are good. The story behind them is better. I agree with Barry, I like this abstract runners better. You get to see part of the skyline, like you wanted, and you also get varying degrees of abstraction from left to right. The colors blend together wonderfully. Keep taking these types of photographs.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. Good story.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your comments. I love the photo of Amy. She looks like some real competition. You better look out.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Amy. She seems to have her ___ together. I hope to see a photo workshop with her soon in one of the magazines. I would go.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete