January 12, 2009

A Forest Find


Bet you cannot understand why I took this photograph?

Let’s see striking red leaf suspended by a spider web against a nice blue background.  Nope, I just don’t see it.

Yesterday, I was out walking in the woods looking for something interesting to photograph when I stumbled (yes, stumbled is the correct word here) into some leaves that were held above the ground by spider webs.  There must have been at least twenty of them.  I started studying the pros and cons of each leaf and finally settled on this one.

The actual shot was very difficult one to obtain:  point camera at leaf and push shutter.  The leaf is a very small, thus my macro lens was only about six inches from it.  Everything in the photograph is pretty much as I saw it.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 105mm Macro f/2.8, shot at ISO 200, f/25 and 1/20 of a second on a tripod

Post Processing:   Lightroom—set white and black point, and added mid-tone contrast, added clarity and vibrance.

5 comments:

  1. The colors, composition and subject are all well done. You made a real find when you stumbled into this. Good job.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shot Patrick!

    Love the simple composition and beautiful colors!

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good colors and composition. I like how much detail there is in the leaf as compared to the background. This makes the separation even more evident. Good job.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Love the colors.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great color here Larry. This is a simple yet very interesting image that keeps me looking.

    Good spot here.

    ReplyDelete