January 29, 2009

A Little Red


After visiting with a friend who was in a hospital, I was heading over to have dinner with another friend when I saw this old red telephone booth.  I have taken photograph at this small shopping area before, so I had an idea of what I wanted. The first thing that struck me was, of course, the red, but then I noticed how the light was flowing onto parts of the building.  I wanted to try to balance the big hung of red with the light on the building, which I knew would be difficult.  I felt that if I could do it, it would give the photograph a much greater appearance of depth. Enjoy.

Camera settings:   Nikon D3, 28-70mm f/2.8 at 28mm, f/16 at 1/15 of a second on a tripod.

Post processing:   Photoshop--set white and black points, increased mid-tone contrast, and then used multiply blend mode layer to darken most of the image and screen blend mode layer to lighten the area where the light was hitting the building.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent work here Larry. It's got the whole package - draws you in and keeps you there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Patrick!

    Great post-processing work here!

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple but pleasing scene. You did a good job with its capture.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne is right. This is a pleasing scene. I like the photo. Why did you use multiply and screen modes to darken or lighten rather than levels or curves? Please respond because I am trying to learn Photoshop.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete