January 27, 2009

Night Shooting

One of my friends and I went over to a local carnival on Sunday evening to try a little night shooting.  I went without any plan or idea of what I wanted to get; so, for about an hour, I got nothing.  

Finally, I started watching the people look at the lights.  I decided that the people's reaction to the lights was what I wanted to show.  I found this mother and daughter going from one ride to the next, looking at the lights and then oahing and awhing.  They were having lots of fun.

This is the shot of them that I liked best.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 28-70 f/2.8 at 28mm, shot at ISO 3,200, f/8 and 1/45 of a second.

Post Processing: 

Lightroom—set black and white point and added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance.

5 comments:

  1. Great shot Patrick!

    You conveyed to us the importance of this significant moment to mother and child... and we understand its significance even without seeing their expressions!

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Real nice. You captured an everyday moment with such clearness. I wish you had not published that it was shot with ISO 3200. It makes me want to upgrade to a newer camera; I cannot shoot with anything above 400 without getting a lot of noise, even at this size of image. Nice work.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought sure you had used a flash, then looked back at your specs - 3200. Makes me want a new body too. Nice shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Different perspective. It is interesting one. I think the colors of the lights really makes you understand what is going on. Good job.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job Larry!

    I LOVE the color in this image.

    ReplyDelete