January 7, 2009

Abstract Wednesday

Why is today “Abstract Wednesday”?  Because today is Wednesday and I am presenting an abstract photograph today. 

Reason enough for me.

This photograph is a nine multiple-exposure shot.  With many of the Nikon, you can select multiple exposures in the menu, dial the number of exposures you want and select exposure compensation and start firing.   All your exposures are then recorded on a single image.  I usually set my shutter release to high-speed release because I want the exposures to be in a rapid burst.  I also change my focus to manual mode (I do not want the camera to be searching between exposures).  The multiple exposure mode allows you to create some unusual effects in camera without a lot of technical knowledge.

In this photograph, I set one of focus points over a particular flower and rotated the camera around that point.  I wanted to capture the colors and also create a feel of movement.   Even though you get a feeling of color and movement, if you look closely at some of the flowers you can see a lot of their details.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 70-200 f/2.8 at 120mm, shot at ISO 200, f/8 and 1/30 of a second

Post Processing:   Lightroom—set white and black point, and added mid-tone contrast, added clarity and vibrance, increased saturation of greens, blues and magentas.

4 comments:

  1. Gday, Nice Blog,Just had a look at your website too. Stumbled here from strobist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting effect. I like the colors and the radiating circles. I wonder what it would look like on a single flower, like a rose, if that would simplify it or negate the effect. Did you use a tripod?

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you stand over a flower and walk around it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you know, I like flowers and I like color. This is nice. I like the flow of the colors. How many times did it take before you got what you wanted?
    Anne

    ReplyDelete