January 19, 2009

Houston Marathon

Sunday, I went to the Houston Marathon.  I do not consider myself to be a very good sports photographer.  Why?  Because I do not take very many good sports photographs.   I must admit, it is not something that I really enjoy, so I do not do it very often.

So, why did I go to the Houston Marathon with my cameras in hand?  Well, I had an idea--I know this is risky for me!   I was over at a friend’s house a few weeks ago and I started looking at a couple of his Leroy Neiman paintings.  I really like the way the painter had abstracted the athlete and since I have decided to try more abstracts in 2009, I thought that would try abstracting some runners at the Houston Marathon.

My idea was to place my camera at street level, use a wide lens and a slow shutter speed.  I thought that I would get blurred runners and a sharp background (the buildings of the Houston skyline).  I did not get exactly what I thought, but I though a couple of them were interesting.  Here is one of my abstract runners.  Hope you enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D700, 28-70 f/2.8 at 28mm, shot at ISO 1,600, f/8 and 1.5 a second with the camera resting on the street.

Post Processing:  Lightroom—set white and black point, and added mid-tone contrast, added clarity and vibrance, increased saturation of reds, yellows and blues, cropped the photo to be a more panoramic crop

4 comments:

  1. This is interesting. It does not match your description of what you wanted, but it is affective. I like the colors and the fact that some of the image is in-focus. Good abstract.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blur! One tennis shoe is in focus that I can find. I like how the foreground is focused and the subjects are not --- breaking the rules! But for me the colors are too saturated. The skin tones look very orange and the sky is extremely blue on my monitor.

    Great idea, and execution...even if it wasn't what you thought you would get.

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. The colors make me happy. The blur helps add to the overall flow and feel of the photo. Good work.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aggregated colors and colors that are a little off are part of abstracts. I think you have done a great job showing movement and flow. I think that is what runners do.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete