April 30, 2009

Water, Light, Action

While in Fort Smith last week, I went down to the Arkansas River to see if I could get a few night photos.  I tried lots of different things but nothing seemed to be working.  So, I sat down on a bench and started watching the water flow.  After watching a while, I decided to move towards the bridge where the lights were casting all sorts of patterns on the river below.

Again, I tried different things, but again, not much was happening.  Finally, I settled on isolating totally on the lights reflecting off the moving water.  I switched lens to my 70-200mm f/2.8 so that I could isolate and compress the scene.  I also put a neutral density filter on the lens so that I could slow my shutter speed.

I wanted the photo to be about the colors and the patterns.

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 70-200mm f/2.8 at 170mm, shot at ISO 200, f/16 and 8 second with a exposure combination of -1.0 EV and 4-stop neutral density filter on a tripod with white balance set to 7,800K to add more warmth to the lights.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance.

3 comments:

  1. Very peaceful scene. This is a photo that does not make that big of an impression on you when you first look at it, but I think that if it were hanging in my house, I would often stop and look at it. Nice work.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shot Patrick!

    The colors are great and the composition makes it a little abstract (it could be a flooded street and reflections of street lights instead of a river) which adds interest.

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two days in a row you have posted photos that I do not really like. I just do not get the point of this type of shot.
    Charles M

    ReplyDelete