April 1, 2009

Carlsbad Caverns



When I was eight or nine, my family and I travel from Fort Smith, Arkansas to Los Angles to visit one of my aunts.  We stopped at Carlsbad Caverns along the way home. 

I was totally amazed by the caverns.  It was like nothing that I had ever seen.  I remember walking through the dark with my flashlight and listening to the ranger tell us about various parts of the cavern.  The trails were wet and narrow.  I remember slipping and falling several times.  But, I also remember being totally fascinated with everything I saw.

Janice and I visited the caverns on our return from Santa Fe; and just like 50+ years ago, I was amazed by the many rock formations.  But, today, the caverns are beautifully lighted and the trails are easy to walk.  JD and I really enjoyed our visit.

I wanted this photo to show the multi levels of the cavern and its many textures that are illuminated by different types of lighting, thus the different colors.

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 28-70mm f/2.8 at 23mm, shot at ISO 1,600, f/9.5 and 4 seconds on a tripod.

Post Processing:

Lightroom:  Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance and added saturation to green and yellow.

2 comments:

  1. Larry, nice job of caputuring the detail in the structure and keeping noise to a minimum [I don't see any] in a low light shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Patrick!

    I've tried taking photos in caves before so I appreciate how difficult it is to get a keeper!

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete