April 21, 2009

Wandering Iris

I believe this flower is a Wandering Iris.  It is a small flower, about two inches across, which I photograph every year about this time of year.  I find it a very unique flower because of its color and structure.  It only blooms for a couple weeks, so I start photographing as soon as I see it in the yard.  I find it difficult to photograph because of how small the depth of field that you have to work with--it never seems big enough to really show it off properly.

I wanted this photo to be all about the details of the flower and its brilliant colors.

Enjoy.


Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 105 mm Macro f/2.8, shot at ISO 200, f/16 and 1/125th of a second on a tripod with a Nikon SB-800 with a softbox attached connected to camera with Nikon SC-29 TTL cable.

Post Processing: 

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance.

Photoshop:  Used nik Color Efex Pro Tonal contrast filter to increase local contrast of highlights, mid-tones and shadow. 

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful shot Patrick!

    You and Steve only need one more photo from one more BAPC club member for your yearend triptych assignment entry! It would be tough to beat for sure!

    Congrats!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen a flower that looks like this. It is truly beautiful. You did a great job showing it off.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you get the background? It really makes the flower. What an unusual flower!! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice shot - I agree with Barry, so I hope you don't do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colors, the composition and the your presentation make this a stunning image. I cannot think of one thing I would change about it.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job here Larry. Love the colors and composition.

    Why don't you download the stacker program Mark demoed for us and see if it does what you want it to?

    I believe CM Stacker is the name of it. He also used another one but I'll have to look it up.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful picture. I love the way you got the yellow to pop. I have been trying to get a good picture of this flower as well. I am awaiting the blossoms to arrive in February!! May I suggest that you smell the blossom???--- it is incredibly fragrant.

    ReplyDelete