April 11, 2009

Weekend Special

It seems that DHaass, Charles M and Debbie are at odds over how I cropped my photo yesterday.  I had to admit to DHaass that I often just use one of my preset crops in Lightroom when I crop my photos for the blog. For some reason, I have always thought that a 4x5, or there about, is the best for portraits.  The image I posted yesterday was cropped using my 11x14 crop preset in Lightroom.

After taking everyone's suggestions, I submit to you two alternatives to the one I posted yesterday.  

The first is a square crop suggested by DHaass and agreed to by Charles M.  I think this crop makes the photo into one that is almost exclusively about her.  You have her and then lights in the background, with no real context as to how the two relate.  

Debbie said that by cropping the Budwiser sign-out, you lost an idea of where the photo was taken, i.e., a bar. Although you cannot really read the Budwiser, I think most people would know that is what the neon sign reads, which in turn, tells you that the photo was taken in a bar. 

Thanks everyone for reminding me how important cropping really is.  Cropping can drastically change the photo so much, yet I sometimes forget to really think about how I should crop the image.  

Not sure which of the two I like better.  I do know that I like both of them better than the one I posted yesterday.  Thanks again, and enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. I like the one with the Budweiser sign better. That's why I kept looking at it after my first comment and made note of it later.

    It's still environmental but a portrait too. I like it a lot!

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crud, I think I like the cropped out Bud sign better after looking at it for a few minutes.

    They are both good. If you present it as a purely environmental portrait Bud looks good. If it's a pure portrait, it's better without Bud!

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shot Patrick!

    The expression and lighting on the model are terrific!

    My fav is the top crop but I like them all.

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete