April 9, 2009

Fat Tuesday #3

I found the parade very challenging to photograph.  The movement plus the low lighting made focusing and getting everything set very tough.  

This band was red, red and, little more red.  I wanted the photo to be about the color and the movement, so I used a very slow shutter speed.  I knew that my flash (in rear sync mode) would do a reasonably good job of making my subject appear sharp and the panning with a slow shutter speed would add an additional level of blur to the background.

I feathered my flash to the right of my subject so that only a small amount of light fell on her face.   I did  not want her to have that "blown-out" look. 

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 70-200mm f/2.8 at 150mm, shot at ISO 800, f/6.7 and 1/8th of a second with Nikon SB-800 connected to camera with SC-29 iTTL cord and attached to camera with Really Right Stuff Wedding Pro Flash Bracket.

Post Processing: Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance.

5 comments:

  1. Your use of an extremely slow shutter speed is what really makes this photo. It adds movement to what I think might otherwise be a very cluttered background. As to the color, yes, it is indeed red. As we have discussed red is a very hard color to control in a photograph. I think you did a great job here in controlling by letting it run completely wild in the image. So much red makes you look for something different to look at and that is her face.
    Good job with both the design and technical elements of this one.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photo. I cannot believe you shot this one at 1/8th. I cannot hold my camera at anything less that 1/30th. The slow shutter does produce a compiling background. I like this one a lot.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Patrick!

    This one is definitely a stunner!

    Well done!

    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done. It definitely gets your attention. I agree with the Professor, you made all the red go to the background.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ecellent photograph in my least favorite condition - low light. Alomost makes a photographer want to learn about the technical stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete