April 27, 2009

Plantation Drive

A few weeks ago, I visited one of my friends who resides in Saint Francisville, Louisiana.  As a mentioned in a previous post, I really enjoy visiting Saint Francisville because the people are so nice and there are lots of things to photograph.

This is the dirt road to one of the many plantations along the Mississippi River outside of Saint Francisville and was taken a little after sunrise.   It was a very complicate image to make:  put camera on tripod, get meter reading, compensate the meter reading by -1.0 EV and push shutter.  Yes, you now know what a shire photographic genius I happen to be for this one photograph.

My thought process was even more complicated:  “Patrick, don’t screw this up.”  I wanted the image to show-off how the live oaks look so graceful.  I wanted the road to lead the viewer’s eye deep into the image.

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 28-70 mm f/2.8 at 28mm, shot at ISO 800, f/11 and 1/125th of a second with a exposure combination of -1.0 EV on a tripod.

Post Processing:  Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance and changed the hue of the greens to better reflect what I remember the scene to be.

6 comments:

  1. The colors are wonderful. Without a doubt, I would like to visit this place. You did not screw it up. Good work.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pleasant scene that is captured well. I like the color combination. The green and the magenta play well off of each other.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this alot, but I'm a little surprised you didn't bracket and maybe attempt an HDR ... or did you? At any rate, nice understated natural light and great mood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, vivid and vibrant colors, very nice. I have always wanted to capture trees with Spanish Moss hanging from them (or Bear Hair as my father would tell us on camping trips) and haven't done a good job yet.

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing wrong with a "straight" image. I love this kind of scene. I want to go there!

    You did extremely well capturing what it looked like to you and conveying it to the viewing public.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's something magical about a lane through the trees with all the overgrowth overhead shadowing the ground....making us oblivious to any other time and place. Nice image.

    ReplyDelete