April 10, 2009

Fat Tuesday #4

As Steve and I were leaving, we went by this bar, or some might say, an “establishment for adult beverages.”  Looking over, I was struck by how the neon lights framed the bartender.  The lighting was perfect.  I wanted just a little fill flash on her face and make the photo about the entire scene. 

Today's post is the last of Fat Tuesday photographs. Next week, I will be posting shots from a day sail I took on the Elissa (a three mask ship docked in Galveston, Texas).  I will, again, be using flash, but this time, as fill light on a sunny day.  Stay tuned.

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 70-200mm f/2.8 at 116mm, shot at ISO 400, f/2.8 and 1/60th  of a second.

Post Processing:  Lightroom:  Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance.

4 comments:

  1. I am not an expert but know what I like. This is an awesome exposure. I've come to expect it based on your prior shots of people. You are much more successful than many other photographers, including myself.

    That's also why I am also hesitant to offer up critiques of your shots but, that's what a blog is all about.

    To that end, I think a square crop would work better here. Taking it just below the Budweiser neon orange/yellow sign over her head gives more impact (to my eyes).

    I can also see where leaving it as is may better illustrate an environmental portrait. It's just a thought.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with DHaass.
    Charles M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both DHaass and Charles M have a point, but I do think that the Budwiser name does tell you it is a bar. Without that, you do not know where she is. Is that important?
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taking a second, third and fourth look at it tells me to crop it just over the Budweiser neon sign, whether environmental or straight portrait.

    I say that because it still looks like a bar or small beer joint with it but, it also finishes the shot. The red at the top doesn't do anything for the photo.

    Again, just another opinion.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete