April 24, 2009

Red Tail Hawk

Ever since Hurricane Ike, we have a more Red Tail Hawks around our house.  I have no idea as to why. 

I see a Ret Tail Hawk setting on one of my neighbor’s fence almost every day when I walk out to the street to get the mail. The hawk will usually stand on the fence and not move until I start across the street.    For the past week or so, I have been carrying my camera when I go get the mail.  I tried several times to get a good shot, but until the other day, I did not get anything that I liked.  He would not be looking in the right direction or the background would be too busy.

I finally got a shot that I like.  In this image, I liked the color combinations, the soft background and the details of the Red Tail Hawk, especially his claws, which you can see are really powerful weapons.

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 300 mm f/4, shot at ISO 200, f/8 and 1/500th of a second with a exposure combination of -1.0 EV.

Post Processing: Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance.

6 comments:

  1. Nice shot Larry. The background is in soft enough focus that you could imagine the shot being taken in a much more rural/natural environment.

    I think birds of prey are my favorite animal group. I've being trying for a couple of years to sneak up on one or two at my work place, with no luck. Something about their vision I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all the details of the hawk. You can see how beautiful these birds are. Not crazy about the fence, but what can you do.
    Charles M

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got a great shot of this hawk. I don't mind the fence at all, it shows that they co-exist with us humans. The light is great and the background too. If you keep this up you'll have to admit that you are a bird photographer too.

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see Featherfest 2010 in your future. Nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had that shot! I have two in my area but they never sit on the fence! They used to dive bomb my little pups before they got to be at least 10 lbs. I have one bathing in the rain on the fence, but not that clear...good shot...hard to catch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete