April 15, 2009

Elissa #3


Happy Income Tax Day!

There is probably little doubt what drew me to take this photo:  women doing some heavy lifting while the men chat in the background.   As you can see, the women were angled away from me in such a manner that the woman on the left was probably four feet closer than the one on the far right.   I knew that I would not have a problem getting everyone in focus at 28mm and f/11, but I needed to make sure that my light would be relatively even on all the women. 

I pointed my flash about two feet above their heads and over the gap between the two women on the right.  I figured this would help feather the light over all the women.   Even doing this, I still got a little too much light on the far left woman.   I tried a couple more approaches, but none did the job as well as the one I used.

If you have any suggestion on how you might take this one using only one on camera flash, please let me know.

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 28-70mm f/2.8 at mm, shot at ISO 200, f/11 and 1/180th (Aperture priority with a -1.5 EV compensation) of a second with Nikon SB-800 (with a +.5 EV compensation) connected to camera with SC-29 iTTL cord and attached to camera with Really Right Stuff Wedding Pro Flash Bracket.

Post Processing: Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance.

4 comments:

  1. Women working, men talking. You captured the real story. Nice job on getting the light to fall evenly on all the women.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another really amazing use of flash. The lighting looks completely natural to me but if you look specifically at the shadows on the men in the background you can see the actual direction of the sun, which you were able to compensate for. Great composition and subject matter also, but no surprise for us girls! I was pretty impressed at their strength that day too.

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindi really looks these things over. She pointed some things out that I did not notice. Good job, lady.
    I like how you got the action and of course the inaction in the background. Good contrast. Overall the lighting is good.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fine example of environmental portrait. Like how the three ladies are in a very dynamic line. I think you might be making a little too much over how you used your flash on this one. Enjoy your work.
    Niansse

    ReplyDelete