April 17, 2009

Elissa #5

As we finished our cruse, I was near the front of the ship and noticed that the captain was on this deck pacing from one side to the other.  The ship traffic in this area of the harbor is quite heavy and I am sure he was quite concerned—which, by the way, I think is a good thing.

What I noticed most about this scene was all the ropes and mask were going every which way, yet, my eyes seemed to pick the captain out of the maze.  I tried to get a spot where I could show only two things:  the ship’s ropes and mask and the captain.  I wanted to show the captain's size relative to the ship and give an indications of how complex the ship is.

Steve Schuenke has an outstanding shot of the captain at about the same time in the voyage.  He took his from a different position and with a slightly different angle.   I think it is very interesting that we both saw a photograph in the way the captain was standing, yet approached it from such different points of view.  Looking at the two photographs, you can see that the two photographers had different things in mind when they took their respective photos. 

Enjoy both shots.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 28-70mm f/2.8 at mm, shot at ISO 200, f/13 and 1/500th of a second.

Post Processing: Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance.

Photoshop:  used to change content of image--guess what!

6 comments:

  1. After looking at Steve's and then yours, there is definitely a difference in the approach and intent. I notice that your image had a red jacket, where his had a blue jacket, so I guess that is the change that you made in Photoshop. Why?
    I think I like Steve's image better because to me it represent what I think about when I think of ship captains, a man with the vast open spaces. I can understand what you wanted to do, but, again, Steve's photo is more like I think about it.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure which photo I like more. Both have something to offer. I do think you did right by changing the color of his jacket. If you had not changed it, he would not have stood out. I think your successfully got your idea across.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed the change from blue to red too. It's interesting - it plays him off the flags more, and I think that moves you around in the image quite a bit. I like that. I also textured mine some and put the main mast right in the middle (just to break that rule) because you have the flags and the captain to break it up. Nice shot. Interesting how we both saw that shot from slightly different angles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, now that I think about it, how did you get his jacket red? It couldn't have been easy with all that sky... Color shift and mask?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What no flash? I did not know you knew how to take a photo without flash. I feel cheated!

    I looked at Steve's photo, and no doubt that the two of you saw two different things in what amounted to the very same scene. Not sure I prefer one over the other. It would be interesting to have them hanging side by side and watch people's reaction to them

    Good job.

    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  6. What! No one is commenting on the lines? What I love about this photo is the graphics. Soooo many lines.

    ReplyDelete