May 4, 2009

Salvaging a BAD Portrait

A few weeks ago, Steve Schuenke did a really great presentation to our photo club on using textures, boarders, etc.  Steve does a great job applying just the right texture and/or boarder and at just the right level.  I think that he and Brian Basinelle are about the two best that I have seen in this area.  My use of textures and boarders is quite crude compared to these guys.

After the presentation, I started thinking about a few shots that I have made during the past year or so.  These are shots that are almost a good photo, but are not quite there.  

Today’s photo is from ones that Steve and I took at Dickens on the Strand.  Looking at the “as shot” photo, I know what you are thinking:  How could you take such a terrible photo of such a beautiful subject.  It was hard, but when you have talent like mine, it is possible, as I have just proved.  Overall the lighting and her expression are good, but the background . . . Well, the best thing I can say about the background is “there is an awful lot of it!”  I have things going everywhere in the background.  To say it was distracting would be a complement to the photo.

I tried various textures, but to be honest they all seemed to be almost as distracting as the background.  So, I decided that I would take a little different approach—I would replace the background.  But, with what?  Looking over various photo, I decided that what I wanted was a subtle bokeh.  I then made several different images that were only bokeh.  I wanted the bokeh to match the colors in the base image.  So, “as Photoshoped” photo is the image with the background removed and a background of bokeh added.

Does replacing the background with the bokeh make me perfectly happy with the image?  No.  There are several things that I should have done in addition to finding a different background to shoot—having her turn slightly so that she is not facing me head-on (a driver’s license shot), having her tilt her head slightly to add some dynamic lines to the portrait and finally making sure I got all of her hat in the frame.   All of this could have been done with very little effort and a little thinking!   But, as Steve has often reminded me:  Thinking is above my pay grade.

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 28-70mm f/2.8 at 42mm, shot at ISO 200, f/6.7 and 1/90th of a second with a Nikon SB-800 attached to a softbox and triggered by AlienBee radio triggers.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance.

Photoshop—Replaced background with bokeh background.

6 comments:

  1. As they say on radio, long time viewer, first time poster.

    First, it is amazing how much a background can change an image. When I looked at the original shot, I thought it was pretty good, but then, the second one really made me look at the subject.

    Second, I agree with you. A few changes in her pose would have dramatically improved the overall image. But, the little things are often hard to remember during the heat creating pixels.

    Third, you did a very good job of changing out the background. How much time did it take you?

    I like this type of post because I learn more than ones that I look at your good shots.

    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this shot well. I have it too, and I've also not been brave enough to attempt to salvage it. As I remember, the tent we were in was like a big softbox overhead, so that created some really nice light, and the subject really had some beautiful eyes, but yes, the background was difficult to deal with. I noticed you used clarity in the conversion. I'm wondering how that affected the natural creases in the face versus popping the eyes, because the eyes truly fly off this photo, but to me the skin midtone contrast is a little hard. I'd suggest maybe masking the layer and applying it only to the eyes, cameo, and blouse - things that can take that kind of effect, while leaving the skin softer. That all being said, you did a really fabulous job with the mask and adding the bokeh. I hope mine turns out half as good if I ever try and attempt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was not there, so I cannot intelligently discuss Steve's comment, but I do not see any harshness in this photo. I think this is an excellent portrait with great lighting. Her expression is not the best in world, but she is a striking face.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What great eyes! I don't see the harshness Steve describes unless it is the area of her cheek/chin on the left side??

    I love the background!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good portrait. I like what you did to make the background. It adds to the overall image. I wish you would go into more detail about how you replaced the background.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job with the transformation. Can't critisize the resutlts. Good job.

    ReplyDelete