May 8, 2009

Alone While Together

This is a photograph that I took last summer.  I was down in Galveston shooting portraits of some children.  After finishing with the kids, I walked around a little and saw these two girls setting on the bench across the street from me.  I sat and watched them for some time.  Although they were together, it seemed like they were both very isolated from the rest of the world and drawn totally into themselves.   Talking to some of my friends, it seems that this is almost a constant state of many of our teenagers.  I wanted this shot to reflect the isolation that I thought I was seeing. 

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 70-200mm f/2.8 at 200mm, shot at ISO 200, f/2.8 and 1/2,000th of a second.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance.

Photoshop—used nik Silver Efex Pro to add a black and white layer and then set the opacity of that layer to 45% and used onOne PhotoFrame to add edge treatment.

7 comments:

  1. Strange pix. Not sure what is happening between your subjects. Like your processing. It seems to fit the pix.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have gone over the edge. Not very interesting subject. Not very interesting post processing. You could have done a lot more with these two girls.
    Charles M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like the background, but after your explanation I see the mood. I like the framing...it helps take some of the harshness away from the "very" uninteresting background. How about a wider width on the framing?

    I, too, want to see you find something to do with your two subjects as I
    1. know you can and
    2. know it will be great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure what everyone else is seeing, but I see two people who are together, however there really is no connection between them. The stark background adds to that disconnection. I do not like the framing, but it does not materially take away from the central theme of your photo. Not my favorite but I see what you were trying to do.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it!

    With a documentary type street portrait you don't get studio backgrounds you get "real world" backgrounds and this one is actually pretty simple and not at all distracting to me. I like the moment you captured here because it lets you make up your own story about the conversation they are having (or not having). I like the post-processing as well becasue the muted tones to me add to the mood of the scene.

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be a twin thing! I agree with Barry and will go farther and say that the things everyone else didn't like are the things that make the image to me.

    ReplyDelete