May 26, 2009

Brazos Bend State Park #1

A few weeks ago, Bay Area Photo Club had a field trip to Brazos Bend State Park.  I really enjoy photographing wildlife in the park, but could not attend the field trip because I had baseball duty that day.

Last week, I had an afternoon portrait shoot at a stable near Alvin.  Since Alvin is relatively close to the park, I called one of my friends who resides just south of Alvin.  Jeff is a devout “birdie” so I knew he would be willing to go.  We agreed to have a very early breakfast in Alvin and then head to the park.  We would have been first in line (had there been a line) when the park opened.  The weather was great, cool without a cloud in the sky.

Based upon the photos that I saw from the field trip, I thought that I would get a few good shots of alligators, especially some baby ones.  Although I tried very hard, I got no alligator shots that I would be willing to share with anyone.  It’s sad when I get better photos of birds than, well, than anything.

My basic set-up for all my shots was:  Nikon D700 with Nikon 300mm F/4 with a Nikon 1.7x Teleconverter and polarizing filter attached and shot from a tripod.

Today’s image was my last shot of the day, or should I say last shots of the day since the image is an HDR.  Looking at the leaf, I was struck by the three very different colors that I was seeing—the red of the leaf, the green of the Spanish moss on the left side and the brown of the branches on the right side.  I thought that the light made a very ordinary scene into something unusual.  I tried various exposures but was not able to capture the full range of light that I was seeing, so I took five shots at 1 EV intervals.

Over the next couple weeks, I will be posting shots of birds and dragonflies that I took at the park. 

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D700, 300mm f/4 with 1.7x Nikon Teleconverter and polarizing filter attached, shot at ISO 200, f/16 and 1/45th, 1/90th, 1/180th, 1/350th and 1/750th of a second on a tripod.

Post Processing:

Photomatix—Combined the five images into a HDR photo.  

4 comments:

  1. You really have a knack for "seeing" things many of us don't. How you picked out a leaf against that backdrop is beyond me.

    I like the colors and how they play off each other. An excellent example of HDR and what can be done if you look for it.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit, I would probably pass this leaf by. In not passing it by, you have transformed a simple leaf into an abstraction of color. To me, the colors are more important than the form of the leaves and the branches. I would hang this one in my house.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe that you can get a photo like this out of a simple red leaf.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little over the top, but I like it.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete