May 6, 2009

Bluebonnets


I do not think there is a prettier sight than a field of bluebonnets.  Every year, I make a trek around Brenham to see and hopefully photograph some bluebonnets. Usually, I am not happy with my photos. For some reason, I find that bluebonnets look so much better to the naked eye than they do to the sensor in my camera.

I do like this shot. I find that the old farm house is framed nicely by the brooding sky and the field of bluebonnets. It just seems that the bluebonnets belong in the scene.

Enjoy.

Camera settings: Nikon D3, 28-70mm f/2.8 at 45mm, shot at ISO 200, f/13 and 1/20th of a second on a tripod.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance, tweaked the hue and saturation of green and blue.

Photoshop—used nik Color Efex Pro Tonal Contrast filter to add local contrast to the bluebonnets and the house and used onOne Photoframe to add boarder.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful shot. Nice classic composition of a rural landscape. Just driving by this place would have to lift your spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I agree with you, a field of bluebonnets are very pleasing to your eyes. The farm house and the sky do add to the scene, but I think the bluebonnets really carry the photo.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Mr. Patrick!

    I really like your composition and post-processing. The "photo album" border is a nice touch that goes well with the content of the picture.

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  4. From knowing your work personally, I don't think you can create a bad photograph, but....here are my thoughts....IMHO.

    When I first see this photo, the BB are too blue to me. I think this is because the second thing I see in this photo is the sky and the strong blue from the BB throw me off with the light blue from the sky as both are bold in their own way. That's probably one of the most striking cloud formations on the left side of the photo that I have ever seen. Good eye.

    Then my eye skates past the building to land on the three clumps of Indian Paintbrushes that look too symmetrical. Even though odd numbers are best....this makes me stop and take a second look and I don't think the "second look" should be on the Indian Paintbrushes. If you had only one clump, to me, that would add another interest point.

    As someone who has trekked for the last 20 years to photography my children in the BB I have noticed and recorded that sometimes the flowers even have a purple tint. If you have bumped the BB up a little, I would like to see it toned down a little. To me, I believe the image would be more pleasing. It would let the field of BB meld with the sky. IMHO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, very nice! I like everything about this shot. I do remember seeing a sea of bluebonnets this vibrant, and I feel like the sky and field work fine together. But I have not tried to photograph this scene as much as you and Shirley. How on earth did you get those 3 symmetrical clumps of Indian Paintbrush? I can see what Shirley means by them getting your attention, but for me they just cause my eye to travel all around the image. What a great old farmhouse, and I love the postcard border.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this photo works on so many levels. It looks like you are dealing with two different levels of light, one on the flowers and house, and another on the sky. I think that would explain the difference in the colors. I like your composition. It has three distinct elements which each has its space. Nice photo.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete