September 25, 2009

Photo of an Artist

I ran across this artist sketching tombstones in a local cemetery. She is very talented. Her sketches had a tremendous amount of details. In fact many of them looked more like engineering drawings than art—sketches from all angles.

I really like the way her eyes darted from the subject to her sketchpad and then back to the subject. I asked her if she would mind if I took her photo. She just looked at me blankly for a few seconds and then asked why I wanted to take a photo of her rather than all the great tombstones in the cemetery.

Enjoy.

Camera settings: Nikon D3, Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 at 200mm shot at ISO 200, f/5.6 and 1/250th of a second.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, and added clarity and vibrance.

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting environmental photo. It's all about contrast to me. Contrast in colors between the artist clothing and the muted background and between the young artist and her aged environment. And it looks like she is sketching with a pen - yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, it is all about her look and her concentration. I am not sure she even knows you are there.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the gritty feel to this shot. You have managed to isolate her against the background, even though it is readily visible to the eye. I like her placement in the frame too. The first thing I really notice are her eyes and that you have given her room to look out across the scene. Well done.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful environmental portrait that I enjoyed a lot for all the previously stated reasons! Great story as well!

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great use of selective focus to isolate the subject. You always find the most interesting people to photograph! So much of this image is about contrasts --- young-old, colorful-muted, smooth-textured, focused-unfocused etc etc. I don't see in your camera information that you used a flash here, which is a little surprising to me especially as this doesn't seem to be a very bright scene, but then your subject stands out very well without one. This is a very interesting environmental portrait and to me one with a lot of impact.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree, agree and agree. I think the three people before me said what I was thinking when I looked at this one. I am with Cindi, I want to go with you to photograph people. You do find some interesting people to photograph and then you capture who they appear to be. Good job, again.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete