September 15, 2009

Old Door of an Adobe Building

Adobe is not used much in Houston. Yet, a few months ago, I ran across a series of building in northeast Houston that looked like they belonged in New Mexico rather than Houston, Texas.

This building is a very simple building with a single door and window in the front. But, for some reason, I thought it was interesting. I tried photographing it with various crops and finally settled on this one. I know that many people will not like the way I cropped most of the window out of the frame, but, this cropped seemed the most natural crop for the building.

Enjoy.

Camera settings: Nikon D3, Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 at 56mm, shot at ISO 200, f/5.6 and 1/90th of a second.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity.

5 comments:

  1. I like the photo, but you said it; I don't like the piece of window frame. What happened to that 4:5 crop mode on that D3. I know you don't prefer the 2:3 format anyway.

    I love the warm earthy tones in the walls and door. The detail in the wood has so much character. It's a shame someone felt they had the need to "make a statement" on the wall.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy to look at photo. I am sure that if I saw it in a big print, I would be able to see lots of details in the door and adobe. I am with DHaass, drop the window.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with everyone else, the part of the window adds nothing. The warm colors and a the details in the door are good.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good photo. Like the colors and the hint of window.
    Charles M

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your photo today for pretty much the same reasons as yesterdays, great rich colors and textures.

    I agree with the majority that the window is a distraction. It takes my eye up to the edge of the photo when I should be looking at the center.

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete