September 11, 2009

Evolution of a Photograph—Part 5: Settling on How to Present

My final step in post-processing is settling on how to present the photo. What do I mean by that? Well, do I want to present it in color or black & white, include a boarder or not, add a vignette or not, etc. Presentation is totally about two things: your vision for the photograph and personal taste.

For this photo, black & white with a sepia tone seemed to be the ideal presentation because the black & white would emphasize the contours and the textures within the photograph and the sepia tone would fit with the age of the old rusty truck. I used nik Silver Efex Pro to convert my photo to the sepia toned black & white. I believe that Silver Efex does a really fine job converting RGB images to black & white, and does it very easily.

All the work done on this photo took about 16 minutes. So, not a lot of time was spent to arrive at the final photo. I can hear some of you say: Da, and it looks it! Of course, this image did not require any complicated or detailed selections and the cloning was pretty straight-forward.

The post-processing of all photos is dependent upon your starting photo and what you want to do with the photo. The better starting point, the easier it will be for you to develop the image that you want. I hope my posting help you understand my approach to photo post-processing.

Enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Your final image works. You have strong diagonal lines throughout the image which help move the eye from one point to the next, i.e., angle of truck, the lower hills and finally the clouds in the sky. The sepia toning helps date the scene. Not a great image, but a good strong one.
    I know your purpose was not to show the image, but the process and I think you did that extremely well. Your steps are easy to follow, logical and require a minimum amount of detailed work. Excellent job layering your process out.
    Since you do people so well, I do wish that you had used a portrait in stead of this photo to show your process. Maybe next time?
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lessons. I learned a lot in a few short minutes a day. I would have never guessed that you could have made that much difference your photo in such a short amount of time. Again, thanks.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got a better image from this one than I thought you would.
    Charles M

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a photographer or at least not a very good one. I do not use Photoshop but I enjoyed seeing how the photo evolved.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful photo no matter how you present it! I personally like the color version better because the color of the mountain in the distance and the color of the truck cab are similiar enough to connect the two main subjects in a way I don't see in the monochrome version.

    Great informative series!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete