August 13, 2009

What I Did on My Vacation—Part 9

Not far from the stage, there was very serious debate taking place. As near as I could tell, the debaters were: a local politician, a doctor, a student and a retiree. The combatants were split evenly over the pro and con position now in Washington, D.C. I will let you guess who represented the pro and con views. As the debate continued, more and more spectators stopped and listened to the points being discussed.

Normally, I would dive head-long into something as juicy as a debate over our health our care system, but, I had my camera in hand and there were lots of subject “demanding” my attention. At some point, my eyes and ears started communicating with each other. Suddenly, I saw lots of people within 50 feet of the debate who, based upon their sizes and shapes, seemed to have made many “unhealthy” choices; and, I heard how the costs of healthcare was bankrupting families and the nation. I then realized that the whole debate in Congress, in the media and among individuals was not about making people healthier, but who would be responsible for paying the bills.


As I reviewed my photographs in Lightroom, I thought two of my photos might help illustrate a disconnect in the current debate over healthcare. I wanted the first photo to show an action that could easily lead to poor health. In the second photo, I wanted to somehow demonstrate the results (a “from this to that” comparison) of our unhealthy choices.

Enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. Your commentary is right to the point, but I am not sure that your photos really drive your point home. The photograph of the little girl would be more effective if you showed her out of focus and the woman in focus. This one is not to the same standards as yesterdays.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  2. The real problem is the thin healthy folks. They live longer and therefore have more long-term health problems and a higher health care tab! So photograph some thin people next time mister! :-)

    You know I'm kidding...just had to speak up for us "persons of size"! :-)

    Both photos are really nice. The first one is an excellent set up to your commentary but, like Ted, I think it is a little difficult to get your intended meaning from the second photo. I do like both photos though!

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry is right. Where is the spokesman for us "full figured" Americans? The photo of the little girl is excellent, but, like Ted and Barry I would not get the point without the commentary. As to the woman eating fries with cheese, I do not like it, because it reminds me of something I might do.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that the people in the images never see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have done a nice social comment on our life styles and their results. The photos add to it.
    Merl

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first image is very to the point. I would have never thought to record that activity but you did a great job and it doesn't take reading your comments to realize what caught your eye --- even some of her rings are too small. Weight and health care are difficult and sensitive issues and you are brave to put these topics up for discussion!

    ReplyDelete