August 24, 2009

Simple Colors and Simple Composition

I hope that everyone had a good weekend. We had a great one here at the Patrick household. We spent time with some old friends over some really fine food and some even better wine.

This week is clean-out week. I have various photos in my blog possible photos collection in Lightroom that I will be publishing this week. There is not a lot of connection between the photos that I will be posting this week except that I find them interesting.

Today’s photo is from JD’s garden. What struck me first about this flower is how simple the color combination is—red and green. As I studied the flower, I noticed the simple background. I must admit that I did change the background by moving the flower to the left so that the leaves behind the flower would be on a nice diagonal to the flower. I felt that added to the overall composition.

Enjoy.

Camera settings: Nikon D3, Nikon 105mm f/2.8 macro, shot at ISO 200, f/36 and 1/250th of a second on a tripod with a Nikon SB-800 pointed at the flower and a Nikon SB-800 pointed at the background (at -2 EV); both flashes were shot through a worn white sheet to make the light softer on the subjects.

Post Processing: Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and cropped top portion of image.

7 comments:

  1. Reading what you used to take the photo, I bet you are quite a site walking around JD's garden.
    I guess the reason you used flash was the shutter speed and f36. Even at that f stop, you did not have much DOF. Good combination of colors and I agree that the composition is good.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am torn between it being photo that is easy to look at and understand and a photo that may be too simple to the point of being boring. I do like the dynamic lines of the background and the way the flower opens to that area. I also like the details in the center of the flower. But, long term, I do not think this one would hold my interest for very long. Sorry.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple and elegant!

    You achieved very nice dimension through your use of lighting and depth of field!

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, F/36 and you still don't hold focus across the flower. Just goes to show how tough macro really is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Steve, I am surprised that you did not hold the focus across the flower. Great color combination and simple design.
    Merl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great lines, complementary colors, and clasic composition.

    Don't worry about moving the flower. This is art, not documentary photojournalism! I would have tied the flower to a flash stand with a ball bungee!

    I really like the separation of foreground and background. Nice soft light and exposure balance.

    -CGTTL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice composition, good color combination and just a simple photo to enjoy.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete