August 14, 2009

What I Did on My Vacation—Part 10




As I was heading to the car and JD was trying desperately to “jump start” the economy with a little consumer spending, I saw this sign. I thought: “WOW!” A little philosophy of life on a caution sign—assess the possible outcome before you decide to jump. Not bad, not bad at all.

JD graciously stopped at every artist’s booth so that I could watch people and take some last minute photos. This artist is Max, a Native-American woodcarver from Montana. He does really fine carvings, one of which, I am now the proud owner, or should I say co-owner. Max and I talked for some time, but being the good capitalist that he is, he was always ready and willing to interrupt our conversation to answer any question from the lady who was waving “green backs” in front of his eyes.


His somewhat perplexed look might have been the result of someone, not sure who, saying that JD had been passing counterfeit $20 bills at all the stands. It is a shame that I did not get a photo of HER look at the same time.

Here I am presenting both a color and black and white version for your consideration. I am really not sure which one I like best. In the color version, there is a fine combination of complementary colors, however, in the black and white version, his expression seems to be even more evident. I also flipped the black and white version to show how the tone of an image changes simply based upon its orientation.


Enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. I think I prefer the BW version. The expression definitely is more evident and the bokeh is much more pleasing in BW. I also think the switch in orientation helps my eye move easily within the frame. Good capture.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto - I prefer the B&W version also. I am surprised at the impact the change in orientation makes on the image. Nice capture.

    Also, please ask JD if she will print up some bills for me next time she's running a batch of twenties. But tell her she is less likely to get caught if she doesn't put Obama's picture on them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today’s image is another example that it is a coffee vs. tea or chocolate vs. vanilla world. Part of our “likes” is probably from our training. I see in color and the extra colors give me so many more clues and data that I can use to enjoy pictures. The colors are bonuses! I almost always enjoy color images more than the black and white version. In the color version I can see the expression but I also notice:
    - His hair is not completely gray and this clue helps me judge his age and experience.
    - I see the color of his eyes to help me judge his Indian heritage.
    - I notice his ear ring and gain insight into his artist culture.
    - I notice his beard and can connect the facial hair with Indian ancestry.
    - And many more.
    If I wanted only his expression, I could crop closely to his face and eliminate all the other light, colors, and tones. The real world is complex; so, I much prefer the color version.
    I am a believer that people in the Western World naturally view an image by starting in the upper left corner. I do and my eyes start on the man and not the empty space. On this aspect, I like the colored version best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is the sign. Words to live by.
    All kidding aside, I think which one I would prefer is determined by my mood and the story I relate to the image. I believe that color photo generally denote a more casual or playful mood while black and white photos are more serious. Just my thoughts.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the black and white version quite a bit better than the color version. The color version didn't really say "nice color pair" to me it just said "look at all this green!" :-)

    I also think the horizontal flip was an improvement!

    Love the new take on the old "beware of the dog" sign.

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete