August 27, 2009

Unusual Perspective

September’s assignment at Bay Area Photo Club is “unusual perspective” and I must admit that was on my mind when I took this photo. When I saw this statue on Main Street, I immediately thought that the statue could produce something different.

I think the photo has two unusual perspectives: one achieved by shooting the statue at the angle and low to high; and, a second one of the skyline being positioned under the woman’s chin.

Enjoy.

Camera settings: Nikon D3, Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 macro at 20mm, shot at ISO 200, f/22 and 1/90th.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity.

Photoshop—sharpened skyline using high pass filter method and converted to B&W using nik Silver Efex Pro.

7 comments:

  1. Definitely a unique perspective. Good depth of field in this one too. I like the B&W version. I don't know what the color one looked like, but I'll assume this one is better or you wouldn't have used it. Nice exposure too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one makes you stop and think for a second. Definitely a unique perspective. I like how the face and the building form a nice diagonal line from the upper left to the lower right. I also like how the two subjects have a different feel to them.
    Enjoyed
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. the structures looked like pieces of lego :) thanks for sharing :)


    new here...
    bubbles :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Patrick!

    Interesting photo with an unusual perspective! I really like the composition and post-processing. This photo would probably earn you a Gold award if you enter it for the assignment on Honor's Night (and you should IMO)!

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have shot this sculpture in the past but my attempt was to try to get the city OUT of the image! I would have never thought of this angle and it works so well. The only thing that bothers me is what I think are shadows on her face and neck from the nearby trees, and if that is the case maybe a different time of day would eliminate those. The black and white treatment really works to emphasize graphic quality of all of the shapes and angles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way you often show me something that I have seen many times but I have not actually seen. Like Cindi, I have taken a photo of this statue, but, not like this and not this good. B&W is perfect. DOF is perfect. Keep shots like this one coming.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice. There is a lot to like about this photo. Different perspective, good DOF and nice post processing.
    Charles M

    ReplyDelete