August 3, 2009

What I Did on My Vacation—Part 1

A couple weeks ago, JD and I traveled to Spearfish, South Dakota where my brother Steve and his lovely wife Kim live. All my brothers (Steve, Sandy and Tim) and all my sisters (Alice and Sue) invaded the North to spend some time together.

There are no non-stop between Houston, Texas and Spearfish, South Dakota. Looking at my various flying options, I discovered that travel time (drive to airport, going to “security”, waiting before flight, flight time to transfer airport, wait time between flights, flight to Rapid City, South Dakota and drive to Spearfish) would be about 9 to 11 hours depending on which airlines we picked. My gosh, I can fly to Paris, France in about the same time. So, we decided to drive.

The shortest route to Spearfish is straight north through Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska. We elected the scenic route to Spearfish through the Texas panhandle, New Mexico, Colorado and Wyoming. Total distance is about 1,523 miles (746 miles of which are in Texas).

The first day we drove about nine hours to Amarillo, Texas. The next morning, we got-up early for our drive to Douglas, Wyoming. On our way out of Amarillo, we passed the Eiffel Tower of Texas—the Cadillac Ranch. Naturally, I had to stop for a few shots.

Earlier this year, Larry Armer posted a few shots from the Cadillac Ranch that I thought were very good, so the pressure was on me to at least equal Larry’s shots. After trying various approaches, I decided that I need two photographs to properly show the essence of the Cadillac Ranch.

As you look at the shots, I want you to think about only one thing: WHY?

Enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. Nice shots Larry. I like both treatments but my fav would be the Pano. Looks like it would make a good Cliff Grim sytle oversized print. The color shot looks impressionistic to me, like you can almost see the brush strokes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Larry's comment. Both are nice shots but the pano is the one I want to see a larger version of! Break out the roll paper! :-)

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Because it's there" was my first thought. Then I went back to why you said it would take two shots. One is to capture the whole scene. The second was required to properly capture the color and "artistry" of previous visitors that were shown in those earlier posts by Larry.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only a true Texan would put the Cadillac Ranch and the Eiffel Tower on the same level.
    Like the others, I do understand the need for two photos. One to set the stage and one to show the essence of the "Texas art."
    I like both shots because they do want you want them to do. However, I am not real crazy about the boarder on the color image.
    Why no technical information about the two shots?
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a Texan. I wished that the top one was bigger so that I could see more detail. I did not know that people do so much spray painting on the cars. The second photo really brings out the art aspect of the cars. Good work.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a good job showing the differences between the whole scene and the individual cars. Not sure I would have wasted my time with this subject.
    Charles M

    ReplyDelete