July 28, 2009

Mission San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo #2

While scouting the church the day before, I decided that there were about four or five photos that I wanted to take. I knew that I would be back early in the morning and I had a good idea of where the sun would be at different points in the morning.

My second photo comes from a side of the church that I knew would be shaded from the early morning sun. I wanted this photo to show two things: the bright red window and the texture of the adobe wall. I tried to keep the composition simple and let the colors be the main star of the photo.

Enjoy.

Camera settings: Nikon D3, Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 at 28mm with a polarizing filter attached, shot at ISO 200, f/13, 1/2th of a second on a tripod.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity.

Photoshop—applied nik Color Efex Pro tonal contrast filter to add contrast to highlights, mid-tones and shadows of the adobe and then applied some dodging and burning around the image.

7 comments:

  1. Another excellent shot from the Mission Larry. The texture, colors, and lighting in the shot are great. These are the same factors that made yesterdays shot so nice, but the two pictures together really show how to compose a great image regardless of the complexity of the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done Patrick! You certainly achieved your objectives on this one! Looking forward to more in the series!

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your placement of the red window could not be better. It anchors the whole photo perfectly and adds a great deal of contrast to the rest of the image.
    In a future blog, I would like you to go into detail how you go about "seeing" what you want to photograph. You noted that you walked around and saw several items that you wanted to photograph. How did you decide which ones to photograph?
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this one but do not know why.
    Charles M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good composition, colors and repeating patterns. Like the feel of the photograph.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well composed photograph. All the warm colors complement each other and make for a very unified image.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very pleasing photo to my eyes. I like the bright red window anchoring the whole scene. I like the golden glow of the wall.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete