July 23, 2009

In and Around Houston #9

Without a doubt, my favorite streets in all of Houston are North and South Boulevards near the Museum District. Both streets are lined with these great old (very old) live oaks with a brick walkway down the middle of the median. I think that the red bricks, the green grass and the live oaks make for a very striking picture.

The problem with photographing these streets is the sunlight that filters through the trees. I tried to eliminate this problem as much as possible by photographing the street late in the evening.

Enjoy.

Camera settings: Nikon D3, Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 at 50mm with a warm polarizing filter attached, shot at ISO 200, f/13 and 1/10th of a second on a tripod.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity.

Photoshop—ran nik Color Efex Pro tonal contrast filter to add contrast to shadows, mid-tones and highlights and then added slight vignette and added boarder using onOne Photo Frame Pro.

6 comments:

  1. I can see why you like this street. It is beautiful. As nice as the street is, I am having problems undestanding what your subject is. The red walk leds me into the photo but to what? Sorry, but this one is not as succesful as most of your photo.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. sunlight through the trees is IMHO a plus - the D3 can easily handle the range - the lighting as presented is totally unrealistic - IMO the shot should have been made to the left or right of the walk allowing a diagonal brick walkwaY - imho suffers from massive amounts of pp -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous may have a point, but who can tell? I disagree with the lighitng being unrealistic. I have seen this type of lighting through trees many times. As to massive amounts of pp, what?

    Not your best photo in the series but I think you got your point across about it being a very lovely street and one that is worth a visit.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the photo. It shows off the street very well.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have liked to see a different crop. If you come in on the left side just short of the walkway, and maybe just a little on the right (not sure), almost a square crop; it would have given the photo a different look altogether.

    Those changes may have quieted some of the negative comments noted above.

    I think the photo is about the trees. The walkway just gives your eyes a direction to go. I have no problem with the lighting nor any post processing done. I love how the trees look.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although the colors are very saturated, I like it. It still looks realistic to me, especially after a rain. I can see what drew you to take this shot but I might crop it square, and maybe even have the walkway off center rather than straight up the middle. I think maybe the wide horizontal is not needed to give the viewer the sense of the majesty of these trees. I love the edge treatment. This image is quite a contrast to your post yesterday and shows the diversity and uniqueness of Houston.

    ReplyDelete