July 17, 2009

In and Around Houston #5

After leaving the market, I headed north on Shepherd past 610 Loop. I wanted to take some photos of some light industrial plants in the area.

Along the way, I spotted this sign on one of the side streets. There was the sign and a building foundation. Nothing else. I wanted the photo to include the sign and the building foundation, but I could not find an angle that would eliminate all the clutter in the background. I finally settled on the sign with a simple background of tree and sky. To help simplify the background even more, I decided on using an aperture of f/4 to blur the background.

I wanted the photo to be simple and about the three primary colors—red, green and blue.

Enjoy.

Camera settings: Nikon D3, Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 at 40 with a polarizing filter attached, shot at ISO 200, f/4 and 1/250th of a second on a tripod.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and changed hue of green.

Photoshop—ran nik Color Efex Pro tonal contrast filter on the sign to add contrast to shadows, mid-tones and highlights, decreased color saturation and added boarder using onOne Photo Frame Pro.

8 comments:

  1. This photo doesn't feel right with that background. I know this shot has potential but, it doesn't set the mood in the photo. For some reason just having the sign floating on that background takes the nostalgic or old timey feel away from the photo.

    I'm thinking the original background may be needed in ordere to date the photo. I just don't know without seeing what you had to work with. You have a good eye for putting compositions together, so something wasn't working for you. It just totally misses the mark for me.

    Maybe someone else has a different angle on it and can help with their input.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what DHaass is talking about. I see a sky that is out of focus and the color a little desaturated. I like the simple colors of red, green and blue.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. It is different.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I started this photography stuff late in my life, I am still trying to just get my images to look like the scenes that my eyes see. I am not sophisticated enough to move my pictures toward graphical art. I always struggle with how much to intensify the colors of an image. Yet, I look at your image of the sign and immediately think good composition, simple, basic RGB colors. I will study it more. Interesting series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shot of a landmark that doesn't look like it will be around too much longer! I like the shot a lot but I did have the same initial reaction as Doug as far as finding the sign "floating" to be a little unsettling. I think if you put the sign post in front of the vignette it would anchor the sign and resolve the "floating" issue.

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one seems to inspire a lot of different comments. I like it for the most part. The basic shot reminds me of a hand with a finger pointing to the sky. I would say yes to masking the post out of the vignette. I don't mind the colors, but too me the film strip edge treatment is a distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of comments, but I thing the point of the photo is that you saw something that almost all of us would pass by and made a photo that we all can admire. There are parts of the photo that I am not crazy about, but I do recognize how this, like the previous ones this week, illustrate the point that you made on Monday: you must be the one that makes your photos, not let the subject matter dictate what you will photograph. As always, you have made me think.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete