July 21, 2009

In and Around Houston #7

Everything about my photo of the Texas Junk Co. was pure good fortune. First, there was a wreck on the street that I was traveling down so I turned onto Welch Avenue. A few blocks down I saw the Texas Junk Co. I knew that I had to photograph it. But, what and how?

There was a lot of interesting items laying around outside the building and I took many close-up shots of them. But, I kept thinking that it was the building that got my attention and the photo should be of the building. About that time, this old truck pulled-up and parked across the street. The colors and the wear of the truck fit perfectly with the building, so I knew that I had to include it in my composition. I decided that I wanted the truck to be in the foreground but was not sure how I wanted it to appear—sharp or blurred. I shot it both ways. When I saw the two versions on my monitor, there was no doubt which one was the better photo, the one with the truck out of focus.

Enjoy.

Camera settings: Nikon D3, Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 at with a polarizing filter attached, shot at ISO 200, f/2.8 and 1/2,000th of a second on a tripod.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity.

Photoshop—ran nik Color Efex Pro tonal contrast filter on the building to add contrast to shadows, mid-tones and highlights and then ran the midnight filter and applied it at an opacity of 35%.

9 comments:

  1. I really love this series of photos. You are doing a great job reminding us that we don't have to go to exotic places to photograph what everyone else is. Since you started this series I have been looking around - and there are many subjects that I would have missed. Thanks for the inspiring photos and the great post processing. P.S. I stop to visit your blog every day and anxiously watch for what's next. Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photo Patrick!

    I really like the composition and tonality a lot! Great textures as well!

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is actually in Houston somewhere? Great subject, and I too like the composition you ended up with --- that old truck is the perfect foreground. The doorway with the snake looks really interesting also and it makes me want to see more shots and angles of this building. Your post processing works perfectly to enhance the age and grittiness. It looks like another candidate for a background for some portraits --- Carlos would work very well there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry-

    I have been a bit slow in posting, sorry about that. I really have enjoyed the images I have been seeing here.

    I love the subjects as well as the post work.

    Doing "gang" comments on a few days or weeks worth of work is not how I like to comment but the summer has been busy and I don't get to check things out as much as I'd like to.

    But I wanted to say that I love what I have been seeing.

    Have a great day!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the old timey feel of this one Larry. It's just a great job on composition, exposure and lighting. I think this one would be a wall hanger somewhere.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fine work. I like Cindi's comment about this being in Houston. It goes to show you that you really do not know what is in and around your own home town sometimes. Keept these coming.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a nice job of having the writing on the wall of the building in focus while having the truck out of focus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Larry, I have been away from your postings for about a week and am amazed at what I have missed. Superb!! You really have a testimonial for great photos where you live and I think you have an "edge" when it comes to light industrial portraits. I too look forward to your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very well composed photograph. Everything seems to fit together from the old buidling to old truch to the overall colors. Good work.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete