June 4, 2009

Brazos Bend State Park #8

I saw this Green Heron from some distance away.  I approached him very slowly.  I did not want to disturb him because I really liked how the green moss on the water set-off his blue and purple colors.  

I tried to frame my photo so that it only showed only a minimum amount of different components of the scene.   I wanted my image to really contrast the blues and purples of the Green Heron against the green slim on the water.

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D700, Nikon 300mm f/4 with a 1.7x Nikon Teleconverter and polarizing filter attached, shot at ISO 200, f/16 and 1/125th of a second on a tripod.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance.

Photoshop—cloned out some leaves on the water so that the green became very uniform through the image and used nik Color Efex Pro tonal contrast on the bird to increase the contrast of the shadows, mid-tones and highlights.

8 comments:

  1. Nice capture Patrick!

    Great detail on the bird and I like your composition with plenty of negative space.

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good shot of bird with sharp eye treatment. For viewers who look for what has bird's attention, they can find a nice green plant in the center left. I did not even think about the edge in this shot. My entire attention was on the bird and its beautiful feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two things struck me about this photo: the details of the bird and how well the colors go together. Like Barry, I believe that the negative space adds a great deal of interest to the photo. Nice capture.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really nice image Larry. Well thought out, shot and processed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very nice! The others have said it all --- great detail, gorgeous colors, interesting composition with the negative space. And thank you for identifying your wildlife, I appreciate it very much. I have a new nickname for you --- Moose Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bird photos have been excellent, nice work with the 300 f/4 and the TC. Makes me really want to go to Brazos Bend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shot. I might invite you to my next real bird shoot!
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colors and composition, both are excellent. One of your best bird photos. We are going to make a birder of you yet.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete