June 11, 2009

Abstracted Forms #1

Over the next four or five days I am sure I will get a few comments like: “Have you lost your mind”, “I just don’t get what you are doing”, and “I think it is time that you take-up kite flying”.   I know a lot of people will not like the shots that I will be posting.  That’s OK with me.  These shots are all about trying new things. I have been trying various techniques over the past few months, but really have not had too much success with them until the past few times our.  These photos are about colors and movement.

All the effects have been achieved totally in camera.  I have not used Photoshop to combine photographs.  All post processing of the images have been done only in Lightroom (or essentially, Camera RAW).

I have used slow shutter speeds, zooming while shutter is open and multiple exposures on same image to make these abstracts.  Again, I wanted this to be all about trying new things to achieve movement and show colors in different ways.

Today’s shot is of a couple setting on a bench in Herman Park, which was taken while zooming my lens at a very slow shutter speed.

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8, shot at ISO 200, zoomed during shutter opening from 70mm to 145mm, f/22 and 1.5 seconds.

Post Processing in Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, increased saturation of orange, green, blue and aqua.

5 comments:

  1. "Have you lost your mind?"
    “I just don’t get what you are doing!"
    "I think it is time that you take-up kite flying!”

    Sorry...couldn't resist!

    Interesting photo. I do like the colors but something about how the blur turned out on the subject's heads bothers me a little. I think it is that I'm distracted by trying to make out their features. I would have liked it more, I think, if it were even more abstract.

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Barry's initial comments, but I have thought that for many years. The colors are interesting and the blur draws your attention, but you just didn't quite get it done with this one. Not really sure how I would push it, but it does need pushing in some direction.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right. You lost me on this one.
    Charles M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, I think something is wrong with your autofocus! You had better get that D3 in for a repair. As much as I love blur, in this image it is a little disorienting. I do like it on the girl's arms and shoulders though, and on the guy it seems to work better...I guess it is the headless quality the slow zoom gives to the girl that bothers me. Anyway, this image sure has good colors! And you are correct, I never could have guessed that you had abstracts like this coming up.

    ReplyDelete