June 3, 2009

Brazos Bend State Park #7

Today’s photograph is all about the dragonfly’s form and details.  I was happy with all the details that I got in his body and wings.  I believe that the details are set-off very well by the bokeh of the bankground.

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D700, Nikon 300mm f/4 with a 1.7x Nikon Teleconverter and polarizing filter attached, shot at ISO 200, f/16 and 1/90th of a second on a tripod.

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, clarity and vibrance.

Photoshop—used nik Color Efex Pro tonal contrast filter on the dragonfly and the branch to add contrast with the shadows, mid-tones and highlights and then sharpened the dragonfly using the high pass filter in soft light mode.

6 comments:

  1. Perfect background and great detail in the dragonfly. This is my favorite of your dragonfly images...but the edge is distracting for me, and I usually like edges and borders so I am not sure why. I guess maybe it complicates the image and I really like the simplicity of the shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The white in the framing also draws my eyes to the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess that I do not have as trained eye as Cindi and Wayne. The edge treatment is like drapes of a picture window that looks out to a beautiful mountains scene. I might see the drapes but I concentrate on the mountain scene. I guess that is a very simple approach to the whole thing but it is mine.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THE EDGE TREATMENT!! It makes an other wise simple background so very unique. My eye followed it all the way around. I don't think it would be so arresting if the background were two or more colors, but the simple green really plays to the edges. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful shot. This is the type os shot that I could set and look at over and over. I cannot believe you got this many good dragonfly shots in one outing.
    Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderfully detailed macro shot. Well done post-processing as well (I like the edge treatment)!

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete