February 10, 2009

Concentration

Scooter's Ice House has a pool tournament every week or so.  I am not a pool player, but I do enjoy watching a really good one take a spin around the table.  Now, I do not think that most of the guys who take part in this tournament are world-class pool players, but they might be world-class "trash talkers."  It seems that everyone at the tournament gets more pleasure from having the best line than from having the best shot.

As I watched the tournament the other day, I was struck with how much concentration everyone seemed to use when taking their turn. After a while, I decided that the concentration was what I wanted to capture. 


As I was watching this young man, I really liked his level of concentration, his overall appearance and of course the light that was on him.  I knew this had to be done in black and white.

Camera Settings:  Nikon D3, 28-70mm at 50mm, ISO 400, f/5.6 and 1/60 of a second.

Post Processing:

Lightroom--set black and white points, added mid-tone contrast and  clarity.

Photoshop--converted to black and white using nik Silver Efex Pro.


3 comments:

  1. Nice shot Patrick!

    I like the dynamic composition and the way you simplified what looks to have been a fairly cluttered background.

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. You successfully did what you wanted to do. You showed his concentration and focus. You showed his character. You made the photo a concise image of what you wanted. Good job.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good composition. I like the black and white treatment. The pix has a photojournalistic quality to it.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete