February 26, 2009

Houston Zoo #4

I watched “Mystery Animal #3” for some time.  He was totally engrossed in eating his lettuce, but he was so far into the shadows of the trees that I could not get a good shot of him.  

After a while, another “Mystery Animal #3” came close to him and he moved into the light where I got this shot.   When he moved into the light, the lettuce became a very bright green which significantly took away from his eyes. I wanted his eyes to be emphasize in the final image, so,  I used selective color and saturation (green) layers in Photoshop to lower the brightness and color saturation of the lattice.  I thought about reducing the light on his tail, but then elected to leave it as it was recorded.  I believe the image looks like this little guy is out in the wild rather than in a zoo.

Enjoy.

Camera settings: Nikon D3, 300mm f/4 with 1.7x teleconverter attached (effective 500mm lens), shot at ISO 400, f/13 and 1/60 of a second on tripod.

4 comments:

  1. Great shot Patrick!

    If animals had "personality" you could see it in this photo. Nice composition and post-processing work!

    Cheers!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Wonderful photo of our red fronted lemur. thank you for sharing!

    Kelly Russo,
    Mgr. Interactive Marketing, Houston Zoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe that this is a zoo photo. I would think this is one from the wild. You did a great job capturing this guy.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seem to have captured this animal well. I like the composition and the lighting on him. Good photo.
    M

    ReplyDelete