February 6, 2009

Old Style, But with Problems



The other day, Debbie indicated in one of her comments that she generally likes "old style" photographs, and asked whether converting all photographs might improve them.   From where I stand, I think you might find you like a lot of your photographs more, but, you may definitely limit your audience.  Likewise, you can often create some conflict that you might not see before your convert the image.

Today's photograph is one of friend of my grandson swinging from a rope.  When I was taking the photo,  I remember thinking how somethings are just timeless--boys jumping from high places, swinging from rope and even "potty" talking at a certain age.  I can remember swinging from a rope when I was growing-up (as opposed to the way I am currently growing!).  I remember my son doing the same thing.

So, when Debbie made her comment, I thought about this photograph.   Would it be a better photograph if I converted it to the style I used in the bridge photographs?   Here is the photograph converted in manner similar to the bridge.  

Can you see the problems?

If you look closely at the photograph (and you are as old as dirt, like me), you will start to notice things that tell you very loudly:  "the photograph is a fake."   An old photograph of boy swinging on a rope:  would not have a multi-colored rope; would not have a tee shirt with script writing on it; would have him wearing cut-offs of his school jean, not nicely cuffed shorts; his socks would not be "half socks";  and his shoes would have laces, not velcro straps.  I think these types of conflict make it hard for the eye and the mind to get a handle on the photograph.  Does that help or hurt the photograph?  That's something that the artist must decide; but, I think photographers should be aware of all the consequences of their actions when they start their post processing of a photograph.

In "Welcome to Oz", Vincent Versace wrote:  "Before you dive into all that follows (in post processing an image), think about wheter you are creating a believable improbability or a believable probability."  I think my "old style" photograph of the boy swinging on a rope is a "believable improbability."  It's up to you to determine whether you like it or not.

Have a good weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I can see the conflicts, but I still like the photo. It seems like the boy could easily be from 80 years ago, and doing the things that boys always do. Nice capture of the moment. This one makes me happy when I look at it.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Not every photo can be given a certain treatment and - antique, edges, textures. The image really has to withstand some scrutiny to hold up when you do a heavy treatment. But sometimes you don't always know until you start down that path.

    ReplyDelete