February 25, 2009

Houston Zoo #3

I have seen some interesting photographs of “Mystery Animal #2.”  The photos are usually straight on, and showed his painted face—that is the shot that I wanted; but, this guy was behind a wire fence.  Shooting through the fence, I kept getting lots of lines in my shot.  Finally, I noticed a small brake in the fence that I could focus through.  This guy kept walking back and forth in front of the hole, but never looked straight at me.  I changed my plan and tried to get a profile shot of him with the light hitting his back.   I pre-focused on his position when he was in the opening and the started firing away at full speed while he walked from one side of the hole to the other.  I cropped-out the lines of the fence on all sides and selectively added some light to his face in Photoshop.

Enjoy.

Camera settings:  Nikon D3, 300mm f/4 with 1.7x teleconverter attached (effective 500mm lens), shot at ISO 400, f/13 and 1/125 of a second on tripod.

5 comments:

  1. Great composition on the shot Larry. He would have had to put his fist under his chin to look any more contemplative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. His look is perfect. You just want to know what he is thinking. The hard light works well here.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a good job working with the hard light. I wish I could see a little more of his face, but I realize what you working with. I am enjoying your zoo shots.
    The Professor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice shot - it's got a good beat and you can dance to it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a hard one to get. Not sure the composition works for me. I do like the colors and the details.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete