October 5, 2009

Posted Picture Revisited—Taking Your Comments to Heart

Before I discuss today’s revisited photo, I would like to discuss last week’s revisit.

Unfortunately, I did not do a very good saying what I was thinking. All of the suggestions that I received would have made the photo a better photo and the points that DHaass made were very good, especially if you were creating a fine art print where all the elements of the photo should be spot-on. But, for this photo, fine art was not my intent. Rather, my intent was to show how certain things in life are timeless. Hence, the question, when does bothersome details become a major hindrance to the artist’s intent? I still do not have a good answer to this question—I think it depends upon the photo, the maker’s intent and how well he/she communicates his/her intent within the photo.

Today, I want to revisit a photo that I posted on September 24, 2009.

Everyone correctly said that the photo needed to be cropped. I agree, I agree and, by the way, I agree. But then, where should I crop it? I played around with several crops and finally decided on this one. After looking at the cropped image for a while, I decided that the photo lacked sufficient depth, so I decided that the shadows in the foreground needed a little burning to add some depth.

Enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Nice change to the photo. I still think it could stand a little more foreground coming off the photo, maybe right at the line in the sand. I'm not 100% sure of it though. I'll see what everyone else says.

    It looks like you also reduced the intensity of the sunset. It seems to have a more subdued effect versus a vibrant one. I'm not sure if I prefer that look, but if you wanted it to be that way I wouldn't argue against it.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I also like the new version better. It is just hard for me to accept the loss of foreground with it's interesting texture, color, and added sense of placement. But afterall the crop is "the cruelest cut of all."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crop and burning adds to the photo, but like everyone else, I wish you had not de-saturated the colors.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far I think it is unanimous --- crop YES, de-saturation, not so much. But I don't understand your dilemma --- why can an artist not have a fine art image that also conveys a sense of timelessness? Those 2 things are not incompatible to me. I guess I don't see how cropping some of the foreground changes your intent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry indicated early on his fine art comment was talking about the picture of the kids playing in his post of September 28, 2009. The cropping applies to this photo only.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete