October 6, 2009

Another Chloe Butterfly

Before I discussing today’s photo, let me address an issue noted regarding yesterday’s post—I did not de-saturate the colors. I took the original posted image and just cropped it, added a layer to do the burning, and completed the stroke on the newly cropped photo. For some reason, it was de-saturated when I posted it on the blog. So, try to image the new crop with the same saturation. I am too lazy to re-do it!

Chloe and I took this photo when we took the one posted on Friday. When I first viewed this one on the computer, I was not very happy with it because out-focus leaves in the right corner (too near to the camera to focus) seemed to make the butterfly float on an unconnected leaf.

After looking at it for a while, I decided I liked the look that was caused by the out-of-focus leaves. But, what do you think?

Enjoy.

Camera settings: Nikon D3, Nikon 300mm f/4 shot at ISO 200, f/2.8 and 1/250th

Post Processing:

Lightroom—Set white and black points, added mid-tone contrast, added clarity and increased saturation of green.

7 comments:

  1. I like the suspended appearance of the butterfly as well. It just confirms that "it's better to be lucky than good!" Of course, there,s nothing wrong with being both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried looking at this one several times by closing my eyes and then popping them open. I don't think the OOF leaf in the foreground negatively influenced my focus on the main subject, which to me was really the sharp focused eye. If anything it almost acts like a vignette directing my eye towards the butterfly's eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool shot Patrick!

    The way the focal plane works in this image only adds intrest in my opinion. Also, to me, the OOF areas give the image an overall ethereal feeling.

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although the depth of field will catch your eye, I think the color combination is what will sustain your interest in this. Both colors work beautifully together. Good job.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Striking photo. Grabs your attention.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see that you would prefer to have more leaf in focus, but this is still very nice. I might have cloned out the brown/gold in the lower left though, as it competes a little with the butterfly. I do not see any flash mentioned in your description, yet the butterfly seems to almost glow. I agree with Debbie, the amber of the butterfly really pops off the green background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the colors and composition. Everything seems to fit nicely.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete